CLAT (Common Law Admission Test) is one of the most competitive entrance exams for law aspirants in India. It is conducted for admission into various undergraduate and postgraduate law programs at prestigious law schools nationwide. The competition level of the CLAT exam is high, and the syllabus is vast, which makes it necessary for aspirants to practice and prepare well for the exam. One of the most efficient ways to be ready for the CLAT exam is by taking practise exams. Mock tests are simulated exams that replicate the actual CLAT exam, and they help aspirants to assess their performance and identify their strengths and weaknesses. Through this article, we will look at the significance of CLAT mock test and how they can aid aspirants in CLAT exam preparations.
Highlights: CLAT Exam
The CLAT exam is quite popular among MBA aspirants. Almost all MBA aspirants appear for this exam. The exam is crucial from an admission point of view, and the CLAT scores are also considered for PSU recruitments. Therefore, the students who appear for CLAT include those who wish to pursue an MBA and those seeking recruitment in the Public Sector Undertaking sector (PSUs).
The CLAT UG exam includes 5 sections: Quantitative Technique, Current Affairs including General Knowledge, English Language, Legal Reasoning and Logical Reasoning. The CLAT PG exam is broadly divided into 2 sections, Constitutional Law and other domains of law. CLAT is a time-bound exam for 2 hours, i.e. 120 minutes. Lakhs of students compete for approximately 3000 seats in the undergraduate program and 1000 in the postgraduate programme.
CLAT Exam Pattern: Overview
The CLAT exam is typically administered in a computer-based format (CBT). The number of questions on the CLAT UG exam is 150, and the CLAT PG exam has 120 questions. Both exams are to be completed in 120 minutes. Each of the exams has a component of negative marking.
CLAT Exam: Negative Marking
|Deduction of 0.25 mark
|1 mark awarded
|Not attempted questions
|Zero marks awarded or deducted
CLAT Exam Pattern UG: Section-wise marks weightage and No. of questions
|The Weightage (approx)
|Current Affairs, including General Knowledge
CLAT Exam Pattern PG: Section-wise Marks and Question Distribution
|CLAT total marks
|Other Laws such as Jurisprudence, Criminal Law, Administrative Law, Law of Contract, Torts, Family Law, Property Law, Company Law, Environmental Law, Public International Law, Tax Law, and Labour & Industrial Law
Importance of CLAT Mock Tests
Mock tests are essential for CLAT preparation as they provide aspirants with an idea of what the actual exam would be like. They help aspirants familiarize themselves with the exam pattern, the questions asked, and the time limit. Mock tests also help aspirants to identify their areas of expertise and weaknesses and work on them accordingly. Additionally, they help aspirants to develop time management skills, which is crucial for clearing the CLAT exam.
Benefits of CLAT Mock Tests
- Assess Performance: Mock tests help aspirants to assess their performance and identify their areas of expertise and weaknesses. Aspirants can evaluate their performance and analyze mistakes to avoid them in the exam.
- Time Management: CLAT mock tests help aspirants develop time management skills, a crucial aspect of the exam. Aspirants must complete the exam within the given time limit, and practising mock tests can help them manage their time efficiently.
- Exam Pattern: Mock tests replicate the actual exam pattern, which helps aspirants to familiarize themselves with the types of questions asked, the marking scheme, and the time limit. This, in turn, allows aspirants to perform better in the actual exam.
- Confidence Building: Mock tests help aspirants build confidence and reduce exam anxiety. Aspirants who regularly practice mock tests are more likely to feel confident and calm during the exam.
- Identifying Weaknesses: CLAT mock tests help aspirants to identify their weaknesses and work on them accordingly. Aspirants can focus on their weak areas and improve their performance in the actual exam.
How to Prepare for CLAT Mock Tests?
To make the best of CLAT mock tests, you shall keep certain tips in mind. Some of the recommendations include the following:
- Syllabus: The first step in preparing for CLAT mock tests is thoroughly reviewing the entire syllabus. Aspirants must know the syllabus well to prepare for the exam effectively.
- Study Material: Aspirants must have suitable study material for CLAT preparation. Several books and online resources are available for CLAT preparation, and aspirants must choose the ones that suit their needs.
- Time Management: Aspirants must manage their time effectively while preparing for CLAT mock tests. They must allocate enough time for each section of the exam and practice time management skills regularly.
- Practice: Practice is the key to success in CLAT mock tests. Aspirants must practice as many mock tests as possible to assess their performance and identify their weaknesses.
- Analyze Performance: Aspirants must analyze their performance in each mock test and work on their weaknesses accordingly. They must also focus on their strengths and improve their performance.
- Revision: Aspirants must revise the syllabus regularly to keep the concepts fresh in their minds. Revision helps in retaining ideas and improves performance in the actual exam.
CLAT mock tests are an essential aspect of CLAT preparation. They help aspirants to assess their performance, identify their strengths and weaknesses, and work on them. Therefore, including CLAT mock tests in your study schedule will be wise.